Sunday, January 27, 2008

Letterpress Obsessed



First I loved paper. Then I fell for vintage cards and postcards. Fortunately, with the rediscovering of traditional arts and crafts, many people are creating lovely letterpress cards and stationery, which I frequently add to the selection of cards I sell at Winkel. One of the recent arrivals I'm very excited about is Night Owl Paper Goods.



These cards are printed on slips of sustainably harvested wood. I just want to frame and display every single one! No worries about postage handling 'cause these babies are wafer-thin enough to mail.



Another fave letterpress company is ThatSkyBlue from Montreal. Clean and colourful graphics printed on cotton paper stock that feels embossed. Fine quality cards, indeed.

I was lucky to take a letterpress workshop last fall at Kozo Studio Gallery in Toronto. We learned the basics of letterpress printing and cranked out a few of our own creations. I was hooked! A couple of weeks later I bought a vintage tabletop proof press called the "Line-O-Scribe". It's pale green punched metal and small enough to set up on my kitchen table. I've also been collecting printing blocks to start creating my own line of Winkel Kards later this year.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

nice to see you blogging again, can't wait to see the Winkel Kards! soph